Saturday, February 28, 2009

Crazee-

Life has definitely been crazy.

A new teacher flew in from the states last week, so there are five of us at the apartment. Sarah, who is 25, has blended in great and I am glade for the new addition.

Last week we finally made our way to Red Square. It’s incredible. Pictures don’t do it justice. St. Basil’s cathedral is so colorful. Inside is just as rich. Walls and ceilings are painted just beautifully. The architecture/painter was actually blinded after he finished the cathedral because they didn’t ever want him to create something as beautiful. Crazy. 

Right next door to it there is a mall- pronounced “goom.” It is so high class that I felt like poor American trash going in there. This is where the mafia’s little wifeys strut their stuff. There were a few stores that I was intimidated to enter. They were so sleek and shinny and I was travel-worn and looking on the ugly side. This mall’s architecture was beautiful all on it’s own, without the designer stores glistening all around. Lets just say this home girl was only window shopping.

School got out early this week. We were released at one each day, because this week is “Pancake Week.” For reals it’s an actual holiday. So, one day Caitlyn, Sarah and I went to the Moscow Modern Art Museum. Except we couldn’t find it, so we went to a different museum, and have no idea which one we actually went to. It was still really cool.

A Teaching Update-

Each week is getting easier, with an exception of a bad day here or there. Teaching is hard, but worth it. It takes a lot of energy. I am at the school from 9am - 6pm. Kindergarten is hard because the kids have little comprehension, and first/second grade is hard because the kids are naughty and talk to each other. haha. But I feel like I am impacting them in a positive way, my lessons are usually successful and the kids like me.

I have taken up a few private English classes, non- ILP, so it's all service. I am teaching one of my kindergartner's mother.  One on one with an adult is intimidating, but I am teaching them because I am learning to love the people here and I want them to be successful. The other private class is just two little girls, they’re behind so I am helping them catch up.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alison Steck said...

Russia sounds amazing! I know youre doing an awesome job teaching at school. It does sound hard at times but shoott I know you girl. Youve got it! :) I love you so much and miss youre beautiful face!

February 28, 2009 at 4:52 PM  
Blogger Think Positive and SMILE! said...

Again -- you're such a good writer! Thanks for the update on your teaching! That's cool that you're teaching a mother of one of the children! And that's cool that you're teaching little kindergarteners and first & second graders too! I once taught a 6th grade class for a couple of hours when I was working for GTE, which is now Verizon. I wrote a little poem about a fish, and I let the kids find the adjectives and the mistakes in the poem. It was fun. Sounds similar to what you get to do every day. : )

March 4, 2009 at 3:48 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

That is where I got TONS of my eye shadows on my visa trip!!!!! The MAC counter was SO much fun. Have them do your face and then take pictures!!!
Glad you're having fun =).

March 12, 2009 at 9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home